~~We LOVE The Gospel Of Jesus Christ~~

______________________________________________

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Year 1 (Dad)

Dear Caleb,
This last year without you has been very difficult. It has been difficult because there are so many things about you that I miss. I miss those early 5:30am mornings when you would surprise me by waking early as I was getting ready to leave for work or school. I miss how the two of us would eat breakfast together on those early mornings while you would tell me all the exciting things you planned on doing that day. I miss the games of baseball and soccer in the backyard. I miss seeing your excitement and smile when I would arrive home each day. That amazing smile of yours could quickly erase the stresses and worries of any day. Caleb it is amazing how one person can influence the life of another in so many ways. This year has been difficult because there are so many questions that do not have answers. Many of the “why?” And “what if?” questions have surfaced time and time again bringing with them feelings of doubt and despair. Elder Russell M. Nelson once said “my advice to each of us is not to torture ourselves with ‘what if’ questions. They bring neither clarity nor comfort.” I know this statement is true but it is a very difficult thing to do. We are faced with these questions each and every day. I do not know why your life on this earth was so short. I do not know why your life had to end the way that it did. I do not know how long it will be until I can see your amazing smile once more, or until I can play games of catch or soccer with you once again. Or until I can tell you once again how much I love you. But this I do know, I will see you again. You are my son and your early departure and death cannot destroy that. We are an eternal family and so I will look forward to that glorious day when we will be reunited and once again be a complete family. Until that day comes I will do all I can to live in a way to be found worthy to arrive in the place where you are.
Caleb, this last year has changed my perspective and priorities. So many things that I thought were important just don’t seem to matter so much any more. I am amazed at how many lives you have touched in your short eight years on this earth. I am also amazed at how many people have touched our lives during this last year. We have received so much goodness and kindness from other people. There are truly some amazing people in this world. You have taught me how important it is to tell others how much you care for them because the opportunity may never arise again. Thank you Caleb for teaching me these things. Thank you for being such an obedient son. Thank you for the fun times we shared. I truly enjoyed our time together and anxiously wait for that time to come again. I love you.
Love, Your Dad.

Memories:
Tamara remembers how much Caleb loved gum; all gum, any gum.

Liahona remembers how Caleb liked to try new weird things; like dipping his carrots into ketchup.

Mom remembers how Caleb started the pop mix drink of half root beer and half sprite to drink at on our pizza dinner Friday night family parties.

Dad remembers how much Caleb had always loved the wind, even as a baby. He would stick out his arms and wave them around as though he was flying.

2 comments:

  1. Eric,

    Thank you for sharing these wonderful memories of Caleb. I am so amazed at the strength that you and Tanya have had during this difficult time. I don't think any of us would have been able to get through this last year like you did, let alone do it with such grace and dignity. You are truly an amazing person. I feel so honored to have had the opportunity to share just a brief portion of time with you as a classmate and friend.

    I am thinking and praying for you and your family every day, but especially today.

    Kris Rohde

    ReplyDelete
  2. How we love the Mathisons! Your posts were beautiful and I sit here with tears on my face in awe of your strength. We loved your idea for the Make A Difference day so we took treats to all the cancer patients on our floor. It felt good to do something for someone else and to honor Caleb by serving and sharing our love. I have only two words of comfort for you, "temporary" and "forever". How thankful we are for both!

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete