~~We LOVE The Gospel Of Jesus Christ~~

______________________________________________

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Year Two (Dad)

Dear Caleb,

I can’t believe it has only been two years that we have been separated from you. It feels more like an eternity. It is very difficult watching your siblings grow up without their big brother paving the way for them. You were such a great big brother and example to them and they miss you very much. I found myself looking at the clock many times yesterday and thinking what we would have been doing at that instant two years ago. I remember we had a great time during the day and I will always be grateful that I had the day off so we could spend it together as a family. I found myself thinking a lot about how different that day would have been if I had known how it was going to end up. Of course I would have done anything to keep you safe from harm but that was not our Heavenly Father’s will. So what would I have talked with you about if I had known that at the end of that day you would no longer be with us on this earth? How could I have taken 8 years and 2 months of love and concern for you plus the many years to come of things I would have love to have taught and shown you and fit it all into one day? I do not know everything I would have told you but I certainly would have expressed how much I love you, how proud I was of the person you were becoming, and that I am confident that one day we will see each other again and be together as a family.
Caleb you have taught us so much the last two years about perspective and what really matters in this life. There are so many things that beforehand I placed a lot of value in but no longer seem to matter. I have also learned a great deal about service. There have been so many great people that have demonstrated concern for us through acts of service. I’ve realized how important it is that we each become more aware of those around us and reach out through service. We all at certain points in our lives need help to overcome the trails and hardships we are faced with. Sometimes the help we need are simply words of encouragement. We fall short many times but are trying to be less selfish and a more service oriented family. Thank you Caleb for teaching us these things. Thank you for being the great big brother that you were to your siblings. Liahona and Tamara often share experiences and memories of you. I am amazed at how much you taught them in the time you were on this earth with them. We long for you to be with us and do not understand why things happened the way they did. We trust however, that our Heavenly Father does understand and so we accept his will and continue looking foreword to the day that we can be with you again. I love you very much Caleb.

Love, Your Dad

1 comment:

  1. It was really special to read your thoughts, Eric. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete